Factorio is played from the angled top down perspective of the player.
The physical representation of the player is the character, who is always at the center of view. In multiplayer, player characters will appear in different colors. Color can be set manually with the
/color command, see Console. These colors also transfer to any entered car or tank, depending on which player is driving them.
The character is part of the player and represents the physical existence of the player in the game-world. In technical terms: A character is just one property of the player, and it is the only that can be controlled at a time.
Distinction between Player and Character
Technically the player is only the "player-view". The player is unlike the character, (the little person that runs around on the ground) The character is part of the player, but the player is not just the character.
You can for example play in god-mode (such as in the sandbox game mode). In that mode you don't have a character, only a player.
In other words, the Player is a term that encompasses both the internal code that defines a player, and the entity in game that interacts with machines/rocks/trees, which is the character. While this distinction is important for modding and understanding the game's core, the terms can be used interchangeably for most conversations. For the purpose of this article, player will be used.
The player has five primary ways of interacting with the world:
- Crafting items personally from resources using the craft menu (Default open key: E)
- Placing entities by selecting them from the inventory or toolbar and placing them on a tile (Default: Left Mouse Button)
- Harvesting resources from a tile (Default: Hold RMB)
- Picking up non-placed items from the ground and placing them in your inventory (Default: Hold/press F)
- Firing weapons at enemies (Default: Press or hold Spacebar depending on weapon)
For more key-bindings, see Keyboard bindings
Note: The player can do that only, if his character owns the abilities for this. For example: He cannot fire a weapon, cause he has no weapons-slots.
When a player is killed, it leaves behind a corpse that lasts 15 minutes and contains all items that were located in the player's inventory, quickbar, trash slots, and equipment slots. 10 seconds after being killed, the player respawns at the center of the world.
The Quickbar is a row of 10 or 20 inventory slots at the bottom of the screen. It is always visible, unlike the player's main inventory which has to be opened and closed manually. Quickbar slots can be "flitered" using Middle mouse button to only accept one type of item (useful to prevent it from getting cluttered by things you don't need), and are accessible via individual hotkeys.
- Surplus items from crafting are again available for crafting other items. For example, crafting two green circuits will no longer result in two extra copper wires in the player's inventory. This only applies to items that are automatically crafted as a prerequisite; items the player has explicitly requested to craft will not be used to satisfy the dependencies of any further orders.
- Armors have inventory size bonuses (10 for modular armor, 20 for power armor, 30 for power armor mk2).
- Changed fast inventory transfer from the main player inventory so ctrl+clicking empty slots doesn't move items to the logistic trash slots.
- New muzzle flash graphics.
- Improved player running animation.
- New player animation, depends on armor
- Mining a chest now fails instead of spilling items onto the ground.
- Player gets a separate warning icon when a building is destroyed.
- Recipe gui contains recipes not craftable by player (however, their tooltip shows machines where they can be crafted).
- Player moves slower while shooting.
- Added the ability for the player to request items directly from logistic robots.
- Player picks all items in range when picking items on the ground, instead of 1 per tick
- Shooting particles added
- Player slides around corners
- Added warning message when the player tries to build in an invalid position.
- Screen reddens when taking damage
- Character animations added