Absorbs pollution. Can be chopped down for wood.
Trees are plants in Factorio. They can be mined for wood, and are the only source of it. Trees are obstacles to construction and must be cleared to provide building space, but they also reduce pollution, so take care not to remove more than necessary. Currently, trees cannot be replanted.
|Run Forrest, run|
Destroy 100 trees by impact.
Destroy 10k trees with fire.
Good methods to remove trees
- Mining by hand (*)
- Shooting swaths of trees with a shotgun or combat shotgun
- Using grenades to blow them up
- Using poison to kill them
- Having construction robots harvest them using a deconstruction planner (*)
- Knocking them down by driving a tank over them
- Burning them with a flamethrower, causing a forest fire
- Burning them with a flamethrower while in a tank
- Using atomic bombs to blow them up
(*) Usable to collect wood. Dead trees (except the dry tree) will give 2 wood and have a mining time of 0.5. Live trees (and the dry tree) will give 4 wood and have a mining time of 0.55. All other methods destroy both the tree and the wood.
Once on fire, trees cannot be extinguished, but the spread of the fire can be limited by creating a fire break.
Every single tree absorbs a small amount of pollution in its chunk per second. If the total pollution in a chunk is above 60 units, once per second some of the trees in that chunk each have a chance to either lose one stage of leaves or have their leaves become one stage more gray. Regardless of whether the tree loses leaves or gets grayer, 10 pollution are absorbed by the tree.
A tree stops losing leaves/becoming more gray once the sum of its gray percentage and its leaves lost percentage is above 120%. 50% of trees stop their leaf progression one stage earlier. As the grayness and leaf stage are then locked for that tree forever, it is possible for trees to keep some leaves in heavily polluted chunks but in turn be very gray, or the other way around.
The less dense the leaves, the slower the tree absorbs pollution, however tree grayness does not affect pollution absorption.
- Added animation to trees.
- New graphics.
- Tanks no longer take miniscule amounts of damage from hitting trees.
- Damaging a tree with impact or physical damage generates some leaves.
- Added fire. Fire will spread between trees and cause forest fires, causing a large amount of pollution to be released.
- Trees degenerate slowly when there high pollution levels.
- Trees regenerate health slowly.
- Trees have generally smaller bounding boxes, so it is easier to walk through forest.
- New tree graphics. Trees have 4 levels of leaves and the leaves are colorable.
- Trees emit leaves (based on the tree color) when being mined and destroyed.
- Trees emit branches when mined or destroyed.
- Changed the amount of wood in dry tree from 1 -> 4.
- New graphics: 10 types of trees that replace the outdated 2 types.
- New tree graphics (8 dry trees 12 big trees).