Factorio is a game in which you build and maintain factories. You will be mining resources, researching technologies, building infrastructure, automating production and fighting enemies.
In the beginning you will find yourself chopping trees, mining ores and crafting mechanical arms and transport belts by hand, but in short time you can become an industrial powerhouse, with huge solar fields, oil refining and cracking, manufacture and deployment of construction and logistic robots, all for your resource needs. However this heavy exploitation of the planet's resources does not sit nicely with the locals, so you will have to be prepared to defend yourself and your machine empire.
Join forces with other players in cooperative Multiplayer, create huge factories, collaborate and delegate tasks between you and your friends.
Add mods to increase your enjoyment, from small tweak and helper mods to complete game overhauls, Factorio's ground-up Modding support has allowed content creators from around the world to design interesting and innovative features. While the core gameplay is in the form of the freeplay scenario, there are a range of interesting challenges in the form of the Scenario pack, available as free DLC. If you don't find any maps or scenarios you enjoy, you can create your own with the in-game Map Editor, place down entities, enemies, and terrain in any way you like, and even add your own custom script to make for interesting gameplay.
The Roadmap is a description of the future goals for Factorio's development. One may consult it to discover what the developers of Factorio have in store for the game.
Look at The official blog; Factorio Friday Facts (FFFs) have become a weekly feature and provide good information about the near future of the game.
- Definition: Factorio is a sci-fi sandbox game.
- First public release date: Mid 2012.
- April 1, 2014: Interview of Michal Kovarik in CanardPC
- July 29, 2013: Developer Interview
- February 5, 2013: Steam greenlight campaign
- Released on steam Early access on 25 Febuary 2016. Developers aim for a full release (ie. 1.0) in summer 2018.
- August 14, 2020: Version 1.0 released.
What is the game inspired by?
- Dwarf Fortress,
- Transport Tycoon-like games, especially OpenTTD
- Minecraft (especially the BuildCraft mod)
- Civilization series
- Creeper World 3
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- Unclaimed World
- Into Space (shortly mentioned that the game will include elements from there)
Raised €21,626, started 31 January 2013, finished on 3 March 2013.