Moving a page by copy pasting or something else.
I saw in this edit "Night vision (research) revision 127839" that you replaced all of that page's contents with a redirect. You also created a new page called Nightvision equipment (research). This is not the way to do it. Next time, move the page so the history will be preserved.
On a positive note, all Factorians are grateful for your help to the Factorio Wiki.
- Nightvision equipment (research) didn't show up in the search function. I created Nightvision equipment (research). By searching through some links I was directed to Nightvision equipment (research). I can't delete Nightvision equipment (research) and thus was unable to move the old Nightvision equipment (research) page to the correct location. I understand and generally use the correct way, but when the admins of this wiki hamstring power users then workarounds have to be used.
- Oh and I honestly wish that this wiki had the chat function instead of the dated talk/discussion pages.
- Ok, if you're aware of the correct way to do it (and I already saw that in recent changes, it was merely a heads up), everything's fine. I do not have power over who gets which rights, I could ask one of the devs though to give some more simple rights to other user groups then administrators.
Concerning the pages on achievements
Hey there, just wanted to ask what you're aiming for, making individual pages for some achievements. Is your plan to make a page for every achievement? Because if so, that's unnecessary, due to there already being a page for achievements, Achievements. However, your icons are useful, and I will merge the pages you created into Achievements, with your consent. --Gangsir (talk) 20:36, 30 August 2016 (UTC)
- If you don't have individual pages then it's harder for new players to find exactly what they're looking for via the search function. I'd prefer it if the individual pages were kept and the entries on the Achievements page were transcluded. I was planning to do this anyway and will probably have it done by today or tomorrow.
- Would you prefer to have only an Achievements page and change the individual pages as redirects?
- I tried a search for an achievement myself, and the first result it returned was 1, your page, 2, the achievements page. With the deletion & merge of your page, players looking for achievements end up on the page for them. Plus, there's already a link to the achievements page on the front page of the wiki.
- Here's my proposal. The pages you created for each achievement, I’ll merge into Achievements, and remove them. (I will make them into redirects, if you must insist.) The containing: search will then point to Achievements, which I will clean up, and make the list into a nice chart, with the icons that you uploaded. (Thank you for those) You may then edit Achievements to your liking, with assistance from me and Wombat. Sound good? :)
- The main reason I want all achievements to be on one page, is because I want to keep the amount of pages on the wiki to a minimum. One achievement does not warrant a whole page dedicated to itself, in my eyes. Me and Wombat spend several weeks going through the subpages of pages like Railway and merging them into other, bigger pages. Generally, when it comes to wiki editing, it's best practice to have large, general pages, divided by headers, than small, paragraph sized ones. It saves server space (which the devs appreciate), and also makes info easier to find/update/translate, as all the info for a subject (like achievements) is all in one place. It's nothing against you, it's just best practice, to make the wiki as professional and high quality as possible. I have to admit, my heart dropped when I saw all those new pages, I thought a spam-bot had gone wild on the wiki. :D
- Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for giving me a heads up :)