Locomotives are also good vehicles for the player to reach fixed destinations, as they are considerably faster than the Car or Tank. Naturally they do not have the same freedom of movement, however, as they are confined to the track.
While Locomotives can be assembled by hand, the Engine units for it require automated construction to build, so it cannot be built from raw materials by hand.
- Main article: Achievements
Diesel locomotives are directly connected to the following achievements:
- Getting on track
- Build a diesel locomotive.
- Getting on track like a pro
- Build a diesel locomotive within first 1 hour and 30 minutes of the game.
- Watch your step
- Get killed by moving locomotive.
These are the default bindings. They can be changed in the Options menu.
|Pick which fork to take at junction||A,D|
Note that while you can enter a train at any point, you must enter a Locomotive to drive the train manually (and automatic mode must be off).
Connecting/Disconnecting a Locomotive
To connect Locomotives or Cargo wagons to each other, either place the cars next to each other on the track (there will be an outlined green connection), or, to connect an already existing disconnected car, drive the Locomotive near the car and press G by default. To disconnect the last car in a train, press V by default.
Locomotives are a priority target of Enemies, so places where trains can stop should be defended. Locomotives in transit can usually crash through everything in the way (including Biters, Tanks, and the Player) so defense in transit is less important. However, enemies can attack and destroy rails, potentially stopping the train.
Construction robots are a good way to automatically repair damage at train stations.
- Added support for equipment grids in locomotives.
- New locomotive graphics.
- Can now be colored.
- Trains are now regular size in horizontal and vertical orientations.
- Trains that are moving automatically cannot be rotated.
- Now show contents in tooltip.
- Increased the crafting cost of the cargo wagon and locomotive.
- Removing and merging the locomotive of a train without any additional locomotives doesn't clear the schedule anymore.
- Copy paste can now be used for train schedules.
- Now recalculates path on rotation.
- Backer names are used for locomotives.
- Recipe change
- Train can find the path backward when it has locomotives in the back
- New locomotive graphics.
- Locomotive + wagon + rails are more expensive.
- Locomotive uses fuel.
- Locomotive and Car are minable
- Easier riding in locomotive and car (accelerate vs. brake vs. reverse)
- Now shows health bar below locomotive.
- Now emits light if active.