From Official Factorio Wiki
Gun turrets are very basic defensive structures and the easiest way of automatic defense.
- Gun turrets are your first defensive building.
- They are cheap and ammunition can be refilled by Inserters.
- You can place bullets into them by hand. But you should automate the process instead. Use a chest, a belt, and some inserters to do the job.
- They don't need any power to operate. The only requirement is that they have ammo inside them.
- With upgrades (gun + turret defense upgrades) and Piercing rounds magazine gun turrets are a much more damaging weapon than laser turrets ( see thread)
- Gun turrets are always sized 1x2 even when rotated which makes them somewhat problematic to use with rotated Blueprints. It's no problem to mirror the blueprint, but when rotated by 90° they may 'overwrite' an inserter or let one tile free between them. The workaround to this is to use two blueprints, one for north-south and one for west-east usage.
- The gun turret damage upgrade stacks multiplicatively with the bullet damage upgrade. Fully upgraded this means 2.2*2.2=4.84 times as much damage; 9.68 damage with regular bullets or 24.2 damage with armor-piercing bullets, an armor piercing bullet kills small enemies in one shot, and deals more damage to a heavy biter than a laser shot does.
|Recipe:||+ + + =>|